Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Silent Gift by Michael Landon Jr. and Cindy Kelley

The Silent Gift by Michael Landon Jr. and Cindy KelleyI received The Silent Gift by Michael Landon Jr. and Cindy Kelley from Bethany House to review, and I have to say, this was a hard book for me to read.

The writing is excellent, of course. The story is gripping, it draws you in and holds your attention. But the tragedy the characters face was more than I, personally, wanted to "live" through within its pages.

This is the story of a woman who almost drowns at the very moment of giving birth to her son, and because of that trauma, the boy is born unable to hear or speak. She learns, as he grows, that the boy has a special gift, however, and their saga begins.

What was so disturbing to me were the unbelievably harsh circumstances the characters were forced to endure. Just at the moment when it seemed as if things couldn't get worse, they did. There are times when a book imposes too much pain into my spirit, and that troubles me emotionally. This was one of those books.

It's a bittersweet story, some would say heartwarming. And of course, it's not hopeless. There are good things that happen in it. And God does prevail. It's just that the book haunted my spirit and it's not one I would choose to read again.

Purchase The Silent Gift.

0 comments:

Post a Comment