Thursday, January 29, 2009

Greatly Displeased

Many of us are familiar with the story of Jesus rebuking the disciples for forbidding the children to come to Him as He sat by the Jordan river teaching. I've read the passage in Mark 10:13-15 many times, as you probably have, too. This morning, though, as I read it again two words stood out to me... greatly displeased. The verse (in the NKJV) reads:

Then they brought little children to Him, that He might touch them; but the disciples rebuked those who brought them. But when Jesus saw it, He was greatly displeased and said to them, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of God. Assuredly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it.”

It had never stood out to me before that Jesus was "greatly displeased" with the disciples. I had always envisioned Him being slightly irritated; maybe a little aggravated. But greatly displeased. That's pretty strong language.

The NASB reads indignant. Jesus was indignant that the disciples would dare to stop these children from coming into His presence! I can almost hear His tone of voice now, can't you? "How dare they? I want to hold the children!"

It struck me that He probably feels the same way when something hinders us - His older children - from coming into His presence. Whether it's our poor time management, other "priorities," someone's influence in our lives... whatever it is. Don't you feel it likely that Jesus is indignant when something hinders His being able to hold us and spend time with us?

What do you say we make a greater effort to keep the hindrances at bay? I know that I don't want to be the cause of Jesus' displeasure, and I'm sure you don't either!

0 comments:

Post a Comment