Friday, April 17, 2009

Edgy humor or sacrilege?

There's a new "comedy" coming to HDNet on April 26. It's called "Sex, God, Rock 'n Roll" and will feature indie rocker Stuart Davis performing "stand up comedy, news, sketches, and music" according to their press release.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that where my faith is concerned especially, I'm very conservative. And I have no qualms about stating publicly that promoting a show about a man with a "twisted mind and a sensitive soul" under the guise of religion troubles me. The title alone by my standards, is sacriligious. There are just some things you shouldn't make fun of. God is at the top of that list.

I know nothing about this man's musical talent, song-writing abilities or personal characteristics. That's not my issue nor my concern. What does concern me is that this is just one more instance of minimizing God's greatness and omnipotence. We can and should laugh at ourselves and much of life, and I do so frequently. But I don't believe there is ever a time we should laugh at God. To do so makes Him seem smaller somehow. How can you lessen the greatness of the Creator of all?

While I realize that not everyone believes or thinks the way I do, when people claim to be "religious" people, I do look for some form of reverence in them. Somewhere. But the title of this series leads me to wonder if there is any to be found in Mr. Davis. And as a pastor and a minister, this is one more on my long list of things I would never watch.

3 comments:

  1. I have to say, Dee, that I totally agree with you. Sadly, the trend of minimizing God's greatness, continues to grow. I can't tell you how often I hear people say, "Jesus Christ!" and spit it out like a curse word when they're angry or frustrated. All of this bothers me greatly, but Jesus said these things would happen, which means unfortunately there will be more to come. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think you're right... it's only going to get worse. It's nice to know, though, that we're not alone in our concerns. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is Sex, God, and Rock & Roll sacrelige? Christians have sex (gasp!) don't they? It doesn't define God as your God, and it seems like he is just exploring the way the diverse religious communities within the United States view the ever changing and complicated issues involved with sex. Humor helps break down communication barriers and this is an issue that has plenty of those.

    ReplyDelete