Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Crux of the Gospel

Believers know, of course, that the cross, the virgin birth, the sinlessness of Jesus - among other things - are the foundation of the gospel and are part of our belief and salvation. As I was reading the Word this morning in John 14:23-24, however, it struck me that this passage is one of the reasons I believe so strongly in living faith rather than simply claiming it. It reads:

If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him. He who does not love Me does not keep My words...


So many people argue with Nazarenes because we believe that you have to live your faith; because we believe that if you're a Christian, it will show in your life. (NO, we are not saved by works. But faith without works is dead. That's Bible.)

We don't believe that saying some little "sinner's prayer" gives you reason to believer that you can go back to your former lifestyle, whatever that was - drinking, carousing, lying, or any other form of "scratching and clawing" - and then when you die, spend eternity in Heaven with Jesus. The Word does not bear that out. And this passage is one that assures me of the truth in this conviction.

There are no hidden meanings here. No obscure texts or passages we can't understand. Jesus is very plain-spoken in this passage. If you love me, you'll do what I tell you. Wow, what a novel idea! A Christian will actually follow Jesus. (Yes, I'm being sarcastic... but only in a loving way!)

But the importance of this is that only Christians (born-again, renewed, changed, converted believers in Christ) are going to make it to Heaven.

If you are concerned enough about your eternal soul that you would say a sinner's prayer and believe that Jesus is indeed the only way of salvation, then please don't gamble with eternity by not following Him as He commands in this crucial passage of scripture.

0 comments:

Post a Comment